Tablespace has only 1% free

My daily checks reveiled that tablespace D_LARGE3 had only 1% free (NB: these are manual extend).
I listed the current datafile’s to see the path and name, and to see how large the current ones were …

<code>col tablespace_name for a20

col file_name for a40

select tablespace_name, file_name, bytes/1024/1024

from dba_data_files

where tablespace_name = ‘D_LARGE3’

order by file_name;

TABLESPACE FILE_NAME                                BYTES/1024/1024———- —————————————- —————D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_01.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_02.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_03.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_04.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_05.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_06.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_07.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_08.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_09.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_10.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_11.dbf                  1985

TABLESPACE FILE_NAME                                BYTES/1024/1024———- —————————————- —————D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_12.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_13.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_14.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_15.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_16.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_17.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db010/oradata/CIX/d_large3_18.dbf                  1985D_LARGE3   /db013/oradata/CIX/d_large3_19.dbf                  1000</code>

… and noticed the last one was only 1GB in size. Therefore I didn’t need to add a new datafile, just expand it …

<code>alter database datafile ‘/db013/oradata/CIX/d_large3_19.dbf’ resize 2000m


I confirmed this had worked with the ts-free script (attached) …

<code>column owner format a10

column “%free” format 999

select a.tsname, “Tot/Kb”, – “Used/Kb”, “Free/K”, ( * 100) / “%free”


(select tablespace_name tsname, sum(bytes)/1024 total

from dba_data_files

group by tablespace_name ) a,   (select tablespace_name tsname, sum(bytes)/1024 free     from dba_free_space     group by tablespace_name ) b   where a.tsname = b.tsname(+)/
TSNAME                             Tot/Kb    Used/Kb     Free/K %free—————————— ———- ———- ———- —–D_LARGE1                         58312704   56477696    1835008     3D_LARGE3                         56929280   56142848     786432     2</code>
job done :-))
btw <a href=”/node/179″>here’s</a> a similar incident were I had to add a datafile

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s